You can buy it on Amazon here. The very first time I read it - I cried, and I've never been able to read it all the way through without tearing up a bit. It's a good reminder for all parents no matter what age your children are to slow down and cherish your days - the good ones and the bad. It reminds me to not just celebrate the firsts - first steps, first words, first time riding a bike without training wheels - but to celebrate lasts as well - last time they needed a pacifier, last bottle, last sippy cup, last night they needed a night light.
Beginnings are great but so are endings. Yesterday was my last day of being a mom to a kindergartner and a second grader. This was their first day of school.
This was their last.
I'm amazed at how much they've grown in a year (and how much of a difference having a good camera and learning how to use it makes!). I just now realized that my son is wearing the exact same shorts and now (while you can't see this) they come to above the knee!
Ice cream is always a great way to celebrate, so we dove right in.
Here's a little mom advice for any of you that haven't reached the last day yet - feel free to take it or leave it:
- Have your kids give their teacher gifts the day before the last day. It makes the morning of the last day a lot less hectic.
- If your daughter wants a crazy looking side pony tail just go with it.
- Be prepared for crazy town. I think the teachers gave them crazy juice because they were bouncing off the walls before we inhaled our sugary ice creams!
- Don't forget your camera. You will want a picture of them on their last day.
- Don't cry. Growing up is a good thing. Cherish the time God gives you so that you don't regret anything when they're too big to think that getting ice cream with their mom is a cool thing to do.
Celebrating lasts has become a tradition in our house and it's one of my personal favorites. Do you celebrate lasts too? Can I get an amen to celebrating the last day of diapers?! Oh my - now that was a celebration!
I hope you all have a wonderful long weekend! I'll see you on Tuesday!
***Don't forget today is the last day to enter the Homes.com Spring Into The Dream contest. There's $500 on the line so be sure to get in on that Pinterest action!