You remember the old dining table and chairs right? It was a queen anne style that we purchased on a deep discount from a family member many years ago. It used to look like this (back before the dining room makeover and before we moved this table into our kitchen breakfast room/nook).....
before I gave it a makeover.
I liked it a lot more after the makeover. It looked great in our breakfast room, but the truth is I never really loved this table. The hubs didn't either. The only reason we bought it 10 years ago was because it was such a great deal. It was practically given to us and at the time we had no money to buy anything else. We were grateful to have a table at all, let alone one that was so nice. Even if it wasn't our style it was definitely a great piece of furniture.
We've been saving for something new for awhile now. I'm really glad we waited so long to replace it because it gave me the time I needed to really figure out what my style is. I've always known what my style isn't, but figuring out what is my style has taken a lot longer. Using what we had before buying/investing in something else helped me to really figure out what I wanted.
Before I started shopping for a new dining set I made a list of what I wanted in a new table and chairs.
1. Simple (I've figured out that I mostly like simplicity. I'm not typically drawn to ornate furnishings.)
2. Casual (I like comfortable, non-formal furniture -probably because it's what works best for our family.)
3. Classic (I like a timeless look. I know reclaimed wood is a little trendy right now, but farmhouse tables are timeless in my opinion.)
4. Clean lines (that was the hubs word - he doesn't like curves in a table but on chairs and women they're okay?)
5. Rustic/ Low Maintenance (I wanted something that would wear well.....something that could handle hot wheels, bey blades, and craft projects in addition to the chaos that is a family meal around here.)
6. Mismatched (This is why I decided on a bench and chairs. I like a good mix of styles - it's why I like the chandy over this rustic table.)
It's a big change. We craigs listed the old table and chairs which added to the "new dining set fund". The new table and bench is from Pottery Barn (benchwright reclaimed wood). We took advantage of the furniture sale they ran during Memorial Day. I also purchased the chairs from Crate and Barrel (lyle side chair) during their Memorial Day sale. I love our new table, bench and chairs! We used and made the best of what we had, took the time to save our pennies, and figured out what our style is before buying something. It feels so great to have something that is "us". I think a home should be filled with pieces you love......even if it takes you a while to collect those pieces.
How do you make furniture purchases? Do you make a list first or do you just start shopping until you find the "one"? I think it's interesting how some people just shop until something jumps out at them and other people (like myself) do a bunch of research first to figure out what they want to buy before they go shopping.