I'm trying to keep the momentum going. After almost a year since the start of this turn-a-hallway-into-a-mudroom project I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. So, with the chalkboard calendar done and the landing spot finally completed, I've moved on to the closet area.
Taking the doors off the closet was easy, and removing the wire shelves was.......liberating. Seriously, it made me all kinds of crazy, giddy to pull the wire shelving out of this closet.
This closet was fairly well organized. Unfortunately, with the closet doors open you couldn't pass through this hallway let alone open the door leading to the garage. Everything in this closet had to come out and find a new home. I moved the kids coats up to the linen closet a couple months ago. Lots of the "stuff" that was in here was moved over to the landing spot.
It was amazing what a huge difference it made to just clear out this closet and remove the doors.
It really opened up the space so much! I can't even believe it! All I did was take off two doors?! I'm now scratching my head and wondering why the heck it took me so long to do this?! Anywho, as you can see from the above photo I lined the closet with bead board. Well, okay, I lined the closet with this stuff.
If you want to get all technical - it's bead board wall paper. I pinky swear that it looks just like the real thing. My hub came home and was all like - you put all this bead board up by yourself? And I was all like psssh - please - of course I did! ;)
He was seriously amazed and totally thought it looked like the real deal. This paper is made by the same peeps that made the wannabe grasscloth I put up in the hubs office. I love this company! You can find it at Lowe's for $19.99 a roll! Two rolls of paper and an afternoon later and boom - the bead board was up - and ready to be painted.
I laid it horizontally instead of vertically. I don't really know why but I just prefer it that way if it's going to cover a whole wall. I also think the horizontal lines help to make this area look wider and since it's a fairly tight space any illusions of more space are welcomed.
I used the same method as I did with the grasscloth. Instead of submerging the paper in water I used a heavy hand on the water spray bottle.
I didn't use a drop cloth. I'm such a rebel which is code for I'm so lazy.
I only covered the back and sides because that's all anyone will ever see.
That small slit you see is where I cut the paper so I would know where the hole in the drywall is. There was a small hole in the wall, and I didn't bother filling it first because I knew I would be putting a thick piece of trim right over top so you'd never know it was there. I wanted to be able to see where the hole was so that I wouldn't nail in that spot.
So now that the paper "wood work" is done it's time to start with the real deal wood work.......which means serious tools.
Ha! I mean as serious as it gets around here. I'm working with a drill and a hand saw so..........it might take me another year to call this project done. ;)
My right arm......... is on fiiiiiiiiiiiiiire! Been singing Alicia Keys all day.