the good news is I finally completed a project that I started over a year ago!
Unfortunately, I never got a good before picture of the fireplace in our basement. We love having a fireplace down there. It makes movie watching super cozy, especially during the winter. We weren't, however, very thrilled with the hunter green marble surround. It wasn't a good marble - you'll just have to trust me on that - and it made the fireplace look really dated. I didn't want to invest the money in a new surround - at least I'm not ready to do that right now - while I still have whole bathrooms that need to be renovated. So I needed an inexpensive update. What's better on the ol' budget than paint?!
Armed with inspiration from The Nester,
I "re-bricked" this fireplace.
It was pretty simple. I just primed it with the stinky stuff - Zinnser, and then painted 2 coats of chalkboard paint. Then I used a chalk pen to draw some bricks. I'm going for a whimsical-meets-chic look (whatever that means) in the basement, so this chalkboard brick fireplace fits right in. I didn't stop at the surround; I bricked the whole darn thing!
I have no idea why it took me so long to get this project done. It wasn't hard or time consuming. I guess when it comes right down to it - I'm a major procrastinator. I guess I need to plan more parties. Who knows what else will finally get done around here?!
Nate Berkus made this red mirror just for me, so I bought 4 as a thank you. They really make a statement hung as a group over the mantel. The middle section was just begging me to scrawl a little something - so "hello" for now - but who knows what it'll say later?
- Blue ceramic vases - West Elm - no longer available - sorry about your luck - seriously, I'm sorry
- White horse head - Target - last fall - not available - again sorry
- Black and white vase - Missoni for Target - everyone has it - because it's awesome
- Little blue vase peeking out of the black and white vase - thrifted
- Succulent - faker than ......well, you know what - from Hobby Lobby
- Books - Reader's Digest - ReStore
- Floral painting - vintage paint by number found on Etsy
- Wood and gold chevron box - Nate Berkus for Target - you need one - it's awesome - it hides the gas key for the fireplace - form and function - best of both worlds!
And now to ponder the truly important things in life, I wonder when I'll tire of chalkboard paint?
Apparently it's an obsession. I don't see it coming to an end anytime soon. I really love using it in unexpected ways. Are you a fan of chalkboard paint?
*Sharing with Home Stories A to Z, Savvy Southern Style