I have very few diy skills. When I became a homeowner for the first time almost 13 years ago I didn’t even know what the difference between a phillips and a flathead was. I’m not kidding. But, I’ve always been the learn on the job type. Throw me into the pool, and I’ll figure out how to swim. True story – I had never changed a diaper in my life until my son was born. I had to ask the nurse to show me how to do it. Again, I’m not kidding. And once again- I figured out how to swim. I could change a baby with my eyes closed – and did many nights with both of my babies.
I tell you this because every makeover story or project done here at our fifth house comes with its own set of issues. Behind the scenes of many diy projects are moments of frustration. I have no idea what I’m doing most of the time, but in the end I figure out how to make it happen.
was no exception.
I measured and re-measured before I headed to Lowe’s to have the bead board cut for the back. And I was still off, so I had to bust out the hand saw. I guess it’s better to have over measured than under measured.
In my “there’s no way I measured this wrong” frustration I tried to force it to fit, and it busted.
My stubbornness knows no bounds. I refused to go back to the store for a new piece. It wasn’t about saving money or time – it was just plain foolishness. I was in the mood to show this bead board who was boss. So, I hacked it back together – like something from Frankenstein.
Thankfully, caulk and paint came to my rescue. But really, the major reason why this blunder doesn’t show up is because there is a shelf with baskets hiding my hard headed ways.
That little blunder is on the top right. No one knows it’s there but me. But even if the shelf wasn’t there it’s hardly noticeable. Although, in hindsight I should have swallowed my pride and gone back to Lowe’s for a new piece. Maybe someday I’ll learn.
Once the bead board was up, it all went fairly smoothly from there.
Laying the wood counter top was super simple. It was all straight cuts with a hand saw. And I did measure the inside correctly for the planks of wood I’m using as shelves so they just slid right in! Then all I had to was fill the holes where the hardware was for the old doors, sand and paint.
A bunch of you have asked about the new carpet. We had it installed last spring when we had all the bedroom carpet replaced. We went with a low pile multi-colored berber by Mohawk. It looks a lot like sisal carpeting, but it’s actually nylon. We’ve had it for a year now and are very happy with the wear. If it snags it will pull across, so I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone with cats. We have a dog and it’s held up just fine.
So the moral of this story is:
1. Measure, Measure and Re-measure
2. You don’t have to be an expert diy’er to make improvements to your home.
3. You could learn a lot from a dummy – that dummy being me. 😉