I’m so excited to announce that this week at Our Fifth House is Fashion Week!
You’re probably thinking, “What in the world is Carmel doing hosting a fashion week”?! I know right?! I’m clearly no fashionista, I blog about diy design, so what the heck am I doing mingling with some of the most fashionable bloggers in blogland? Well, here’s the deal. While I’m not a fashion or style blogger, I do blog quite a bit about organization. I’ve mentioned before that I truly believe the key to a well organized closet is a well edited closet. But how do you achieve a “well edited closet”? I’ve rounded up 5 of the most stylish bloggers to help us answer that very question. They’ll all be dishing on what they believe are the 7 wardrobe essentials every woman needs. I am so very excited for this series as my small-ish closet has made me realize that you don’t need a lot of pieces in your wardrobe – you need the right pieces. So let’s get this style party started, shall we?!
First in the line-up of fabulously stylish bloggers that will be dishing the goods this week, is Cassie from Hi Sugarplum! Cassie is just an all around stylish hot momma. Her home is amazing, and her outfit inspiration posts are ridiculously fantastic!
I’ll let the style professional take it from here!
Hey, hey friends! I’m a huge fan of Carmel’s mad DIY-skills, not to mention her gorgeous style. I mean, seriously, supermodel much!? So I’m thrilled to be sharing my Seven Wardrobe Essentials over here today. Assuming I can narrow it down to seven…
My biggest advice is first to figure out your body type and shape, and then here’s the big part…..make peace with it! Embrace the assets that make you special, and focus on accentuating those with flattering silhouettes. We aren’t all tall with narrow hips and long legs…trying to dress like we are is not cute. Trust me, I’ve tried.
I have fuller hips and thighs, and a long torso…but I also have a small waist and strong legs. To offset my pear-shape and lengthen my legs, I wear a lot of high-waisted full, and a-line, skirts. And to accent my waist and legs, I belt tops high on my torso and keep skirts above the knee.
Dressing for your shape is a lot more flattering and fashionable than dressing for the trends. With that said, here are my wardrobe essentials.
1) Bootcut jeans in a dark rinse. Yes I have skinny jeans, and colored jeans, but dark bootcuts flatter everyone, and are easily dressed up or down.
|seven for all mankind|
2) Striped tees. Stripes occupy half my closet…I’m slightly obsessed. I love them paired with a floral skirt, or peeking out from a basic cardigan. And don’t forget the dose of preppy they add to business blazers and pants.
3) Army-style jacket. They come in great neutral-shades of khaki and green, and look effortless thrown over skirts, jeans and dresses. Even the most basic outfit is made cooler by one.
4) Colorful cardigans. I love all the cardis…fitted, boyfriend, chunky, and tissue…and in all the colors of the rainbow. They are great for layering over tanks and dresses, and even a pair of yoga pants look more pulled together when paired with a cardi instead of a sweatshirt.
5) Brown boots. I love knee-high boots not only because they look great
with jeans of any color, but also because they help to balance my hips.
And yes, you can wear brown boots with black…just make sure the hues
aren’t too similar (think camel with black, or chocolate brown with light gray).
6) Leopard anything. Heels, ballet flats, scarf, sweater, skirt, belt…you name it! I wear leopard as a neutral, paired with almost any other pattern, in place of basic black or brown. Just that one change can give a basic outfit power!
7) Bright scarves and big earrings. These are my secret to looking stylish no matter what I’m wearing. A colorful scarf brightens your face and draws attention to your eyes, and over-sized earrings make even rumpled outfits and messy hair look fashionable.
I’m pretty sure Cassie’s never heard of a bad hair day! Such great advice to make peace with your body type. And is it just me or do you feel like you need more leopard in your life now? Thanks so much Cassie! Be sure to come back tomorrow to hear from another fabulous fashionista!
Check out Courtney’s essentials here.
Amanda dished hers here.
See what Natalie had to say here.
Here’s where Camilla shared hers.
Last but not lease I wrapped this series up and shared my 7 wardrobe essentials here.