My home office is on the hit list this year. Being that it’s the very first room you see upon entering our home it’s a high priority project.
Change of Design Plans
My original design plan changed just a bit due to a little snafu with the desk I ordered.
The company shipped the desk with the wrong legs, and then in the process of trying to get that corrected the desk became a discontinued item. Insert sad face. What I loved most about this campaign-style desk was the red and gold combination. While I could have probably found something similar in style and just painted it, I decided to go in a different direction all together.
Rather than sourcing another desk, I’ve decided to bring in a dining table to use as a desk. The room is large enough to handle the size. And I like the idea of us being able to use this room as an entertaining space as well as an office. I stumbled across a dining table I loved at a local furniture store, GDC Home. It’s a Hooker Furniture burl wood dining table. The sleek, parsons style looks great in the room.
- The walls will still be going a light, pale pink. I toyed around with the idea of painting the moulding grey, but ultimately I don’t want the room to feel too heavy. I’m going for bright and happy.
- Right now, I’m considering painting the sideboard white, so that it sort of disappears into the moulding, or possibly for a bolder look a bright shade of red. Though I think what’s leading me in the direction of painting that piece is the overabundance of wood tones currently in the room.
- I plan to decide on a rug before doing anything with the sideboard. It’s very possible that an area rug will completely steer me away from wanting to paint the sideboard at all.
One design decision typically determines another, so it’s important to figure out where to begin. In my opinion, an area rug is always a great place to start. The rug I originally planned to use unfortunately only comes in a square size that just isn’t right for the space now considering the size of the table I’m using as a desk. This one I’m contemplating has a similar look, though it’s a little bolder…….
I may just go with a natural fiber rug, like this one. While it’s more of a safe choice, I’m thinking if it ain’t broke why fix it? Thoughts?
- A gallery wall will be going up above the sideboard. I’ve already been collecting pieces!
- Curtain panels will be made with the palm leaf fabric pictured above. I think this fabric is going to look so great against pale pink walls.
- My old office chair is standing in for now while I hunt for a wingback I can have recovered in a leopard print. I feel like the size of the table warrants a chair with much more presence.
Ready to do some Painting!
I’m so ready to finish this space as I’ve been staring at paint samples in here for what feels like forever. Sometimes it just takes time to make up your mind. I’d rather be patient, enjoy the process and be pleased with the results, than rush through to the finish line only to regret some of the decisions made.
Hoping to be sharing more progress very soon! For now I have painting to do……..
I think it’s nice to share behind the scenes photos as you rarely see anything but finished, styled spaces on blogs anymore. It takes days, months, even years to get a room to look the way you want. And I think there is so much to be gained in sharing the process rather than just the before and after. What are your thoughts on this? Would you rather I wait until rooms are finished to share them?