Years ago on a mission to reclaim my health I made a major change to my diet. I gave up sodas, fast food and other processed junk food and adopted a new way of living in the hopes that these dietary changes would have a positive effect on my autoimmune thyroid disease. And positive change did it ever bring. I witnessed first hand the power and truth behind Hippocrates words, “Let thy food be thy medicine.” I felt better than I ever had before and discovered that eating real food can absolutely be the best remedy for what ails you. Who knew it could be that simple?!
My new healthier diet created a bit of a domino effect for me.
I moved away from using toxic chemical-laden household cleaners and brought safe but effective organic cleaners in to my home, incorporating Young Living essential oils as an everyday part of life.
In doing lots of research I learned that 60% of what we put on our skin gets absorbed into our bodies within 26 seconds. Realizing that my skin is my largest organ, I gave my personal care routine a makeover. After finding out that the European Union has banned close to 1,4oo harmful cosmetic ingredients to the United State’s mere 11 and that companies are allowed to use known toxins without telling us, I ditched my chemically-laden over the counter skin cleansers and moisturizers for safer alternatives.
But one area that presented the most difficult change was my makeup bag. What can I say I’m not a “natural” girl. I like lipstick, mascara and a good bronzer. I’d love to be like – oh hey, I woke up like this.
But those of y’all who follow me on Snapchat know that is hardly the case. (Can I get an Amen for Snapchat filters?!)
The issue I was having in finding safe makeup products was that the “organic”, “all natural” beauty products were rarely effective. I tried a ton of different, safer brands. I would have high hopes for lipsticks, foundations and eye shadows only to try them and be less than impressed with the results. I actually gave up at one point and just conceded the fact that you just can’t get a safe lipstick or a good mascara that will work like those that are full of toxic ingredients. And I was tired of spending money on safe products that just didn’t get the job done. I figured well, I tried, but when it came to my makeup bag I wasn’t willing to make any sacrifices. For goodness sake I already gave up donuts. Don’t make me give up my lipgloss too. 😉
And then like a beacon of light shining down on my bathroom vanity I stumbled across Beautycounter.
I was like, finally a company that gets that you not only care about a products safety but also about its effectiveness. Finally a company that makes a lipstick that is not only safe, but one that feels really great on and is long lasting. Finally a company that is completely transparent in listing every ingredient used in all products. Finally a company that doesn’t just use marketing terms to create the illusion that their products are safe to use, but one that actually backs up their claims with a 5-step ingredient selection process and has created a never list of ingredients that are known to be harmful that they have pledged to never add to Beautycounter products (many of which are industry standards – shocking as that may be).
I’ve really fallen in love with Beautycounter, from their philosophy and mission statement to the quality of their products and the beauty of their packaging. I’ve given my makeup bag a complete Beautycounter overhaul. Almost everything I use now is Beautycounter with a couple of exceptions. This is my current make-up squad.
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer – I’ve found that the older I get the less appealing foundations are to me. I like something that will make my skin feel really good and provide light coverage. Anything too heavy just ends up accentuating the fine lines, so I prefer to stick to something light weight. This tinted moisturizer is great. It feels wonderful and gives me just enough coverage. Plus I love that it also has an spf 20 to protect my skin from the sun.
- W3ll People Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer – I’ve yet to try Beautycounter’s concealer because I’m really in love with this one. While other W3ll People products didn’t meet the mark for me, this concealer is a really good one. Great for under the eye area without settling in to the lines. *One tip with concealer I learned from my time working in the cosmetics industry years ago, is to layer your concealer over your foundation for good coverage. Most people think you should put it on under your foundation, but you’ll get better coverage if you layer it over the top. I use it over my tinted moisturizer.
- Lustro Shimmer Oil – I’m obsessed with this stuff! I use all over my face and body for a natural looking bronzed glow. It gives you that I just got back from the Bahamas look. I absolutely love it!
- Color Sweep Blush Duo – I don’t wear face powder in the summer months, only in the winter when my tan has faded. In the summer I like to use an all over blush/bronzer. What I love about Beautycounter blushes is that you get two colors in one compact. I like the tawny/whisper combo and I use the tawny as an all over bronzer and contour powder and then hit the apples of my cheeks with whisper.
- Color Shade Eye Duo – Again because you get two colors in one these little compacts are so great! I use the fawn/night combo. Using the precision brush I line my eyes with night. I really love using a powder liner as it defines the eye in a softer way from a pencil liner. This powder stays in place all day. A lot of times the safer beauty brands put out muted colors that aren’t very saturated, but Beautycounter’s makeup products were designed by celebrity makeup artist Christy Coleman. These products were designed to perform.
- Lengthening Mascara – Love this! Defined, lengthened lashes with no clumping or flaking.
- Benefit Brow Zings – This is not a “safe” product. It actually has a few ingredients from Beautycounter’s never list, but I’ve yet to find a good replacement for it as Beautycounter doesn’t currently have a brow powder. Filling in your eyebrows, at least for me, makes a world of difference! I’m kind of big on eyebrows, so I’m going to keep using this until I find a good, safe alternative. When I find one, I’ll let you know! Or if you know of one, leave me a comment down below.
- Lip Conditioner – I love this stuff! It feels amazing on and keeps my lips moisturized so lipstick goes on smoothly. I wear this all day and put it on again just before bed. This is a great product to keep on your nightstand.
- Lip Sheer – Hands down, this is the best lipstick I’ve ever used. The name implies a translucent coverage, but while it is lightweight these lipsticks are highly saturated. You can go with a bold lip or a more natural look depending on the shade you choose and how you want to wear it. I’m in love with how these lipsticks feel on my lips. And they stay on so well for being so moisturizing! Twig and Scarlett are my favorite colors! Scarlett is the perfect shade of red – not too orange, not too pink. Lipstick is one of those makeup items that not only goes on the skin but gets ingested being on our lips so finding a good, safe alternative that you don’t have to sacrifice beauty for is so great. Plus I love the sleek, gold tubes. Admittedly, the lipsticks are kind of price-y, but I’m telling you – totally worth it!
- Last but not least, Lip Gloss – The only gloss I have is Opal, but I’m planning to add the new shade, fig, to my make-up bag very soon. It ‘s perfect for fall.
So that’s my current 10 product daily make-up routine. I love that with Beautycounter I don’t have to sacrifice my health for beauty. No woman should have to.
I love that this company isn’t just about selling their own safe beauty products. They are actively advocating for more regulations in the cosmetics industry. This isn’t just a company; this is a movement. It goes far beyond flawless makeup and into effecting positive change for our daughters, our sons…….our whole country.
If you want to start switching out some of your beauty products for safer products, Beautycounter makes it really easy to give their products a try with their 60-day return policy.
They also offer a “band of beauty” membership you can sign up for right here, for an annual fee of $25, which includes:
- Free shipping on orders over $100
- $25 product credit for every $300 spent with Beautycounter
- and a savings of 25% on some of Beautycounter’s best selling products
*Just put me – Carmel Phillips – down as your mentor so I can keep you updated with special discounts and sales! You don’t have to join as a member to shop Beautycounter, although the membership does offer some great perks.
If you’re as passionate about healthy change in our country as I am and want to join as a consultant on my team, email me Carmel@ourfifthhouse.com. I’d love to talk more with you about this amazing company and movement!